Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The short version

So this is my thoughts on writing.

I wanted to be a writer way back when.  Then as my life progressed those thoughts got pushed back and having a wife/family/job took precedence.  Went to school and got a job making money.  Then the realization came over me that has come over everyone else in the world; work sucks.

So writing became a back-up plan.  I could work on my book in my down time at work.  I would think "if I can get good enough at it I could make money and quit my job".  When you're job sucks you want to have something to look forward to.  No one wants to be stuck in their crappy job forever.

Then something happened; I got a good job.

 I didn't want to be a writer any more.  I didn't need to be a writer.  When I was working for [crappy job] I would think about what I would do if I won the lottery.  I was going to start my own company and do thing to help out society.  New, better job meant that I didn't buy any more lotter tickets.  I didn't need the dream.  For the first time that I can remember I'm happy being a chemist.

Then I got an email from an old friend.  Someone from another life that remembered that I was going to be a writer.  And in the matter of 6 or 7 emails she said that I should be writing.

And while I might not need to be a writer anymore I do remember that there is the fact that I like to write.

No comments: