Monday, May 05, 2014

Perspective4

Life is all about perspectives.  How we see the big picture and how we see the small picture.

Sometimes I think the problems that we have as individuals is that we don't focus correctly.  We can get caught up in some dumb argument at work and not realize how insignificant the outcome is either way.  "I think we need to use a size 18 font on that." "That makes it look too big."  Egos get in the way.  Maybe feelings get hurt.  Working together as a team becomes harder.  And for what?  What kind of end-of-the-world tragedy is going to result from a different font?

And it's easy to get caught up in.  "No one respects me."  "My boss micromanages."  So what.  At the end of the day you go home, eat dinner, and go to bed.  Find something else to base your life on.

What we do for a job can be important to us and that's okay.  We should all be so lucky to have a job that we're compassionate about.  But you can't let your job define who you are as a person.  Only you get to decide who you are.  Yes your job may make a big part of that, but it can't be the only thing that defines you.

When I have a hard time keeping things in perspective I think about people who are less fortunate than I am.  There are people out there that were born with no arms.  That is a struggle to go through in life.  How does that make me feel when all I do is complain about how my boss is a jerk?  Or think about the poor children in different countries who have a hard time having food.  It makes having to hear your son yell at you over his stuff not so important.

The big picture of it all is one simple thought.  Life is all about being happy.

No comments: