Thursday, February 27, 2014

I knew that learning to read was going to lead to no good

I just finished reading a book called The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni.  I say finished reading because even though I was only half way through I am done.  This book is a piece of crap.

The book is a fictional account of a made up company.  It got me going in the beginning because the company was based in Half Moon Bay California which is one of my favorite places in the world (by the way this is a very small town and no company like this would headquartered their business there because there is only one small road over the mountains and it takes too long to get there).

Anyway the story is about a new CEO of a company and how she makes all of her executives work as a team.  This is done because she is the boss and they need to do what she says.  The book even mentions that people need to have some type of "buy-in" before they will work together.  And the executives have standard problematic personalities which miraculously change in a two day retreat.  Don't you think that these executives learned to be hard asses as a means of getting where they are?

Here are some more thoughts:
  1. This is a great book for a CEO that need to whip their people into shape.  I may save it for when I'm a CEO.
  2. It mentions the need for more conflict in meetings.  What?  You can't be serious.
  3. It explains in a round about way that everyone in the meeting needs to be on the same footing.  I don't know where this happens but it's never happened anywhere I've worked.
  4. A meeting and/or team is only allowed to work based on the will of the person in the highest position in the room.  Otherwise they'll just say screw-it.
  5. All this book talks about is sales, marketing, and customer service.  Maybe that's who the book is for.
This book only says to me how clueless some higher ups are when to it comes to reality.

No comments: