Thursday, May 21, 2015

How to work with difficult people (by the way, it's your boss)

When I used to work in Hell, there was a computer network were people in my department would store files and stuff.  One of the supervisors (or maybe all of them) took a class on dealing with difficult people and they scanned the notes into the system.  I like to study leadership so I downloaded them and took them with me.

I opened one up today and looked at it.

And it started me thinking.  The way these notes are laid out is how a supervisor needs to deal with a difficult employee.  And knowing the supervisors the way I do, that is exactly how they interpreted the notes.  But truth be told, the supervisors were the ones who where difficult to deal with.  And they all believed in the theory of "There's gotta be something wrong with them, it can't be because of me 'cause I'm great."

So let's write a book about how to deal with your piss-poor boss.  I think that is what is going to help people's work life more than anything.  And I think people would want to buy it and not have to be forced into taking a class on something they aren't interested in in the first place.

No comments: