Thursday, October 16, 2014

What I've learned being unemployed. Part 1

When you are first let go from your job a good amount of panic forms.  You start thinking about where your income is going to come from.  You get onto the job hunt as soon as you get home.  I would be willing to be that some people will end up getting a new job right away.  But I would be willing to be that a lot of people end up taking more time than they first imagined.

I'm not sure where I am.  At least not right now.  I've had the panic for the last few weeks.  I've been working with some recruiters and getting a lot of new information.  I've got a new resume, I have a new outlook, and I have a lot of support from my friends and family.  But there is something else that I've just recently discovered.

I am broken.

The panic can cause so many more problems.  There is when you start blaming yourself.  You start thinking that you'll never get a new job.  You start thinking that your family will be eating out of dumpsters.  And you end up spending a lot of time with senior citizens (they're the only other people with nothing to do all day).

But I've noticed more than ever that I need the time to heal.  I can feel bad for taking a nap in the middle of the day.  I can't stress over not having any job leads right now.  I have to take the advice that I give my son all the time.

Do your best and no one can ask any more of you.

No comments: